Monday, October 14, 2013

Final Post

First, a quick update on the motorcycle project. So far the financing has gone exceedingly well. 3 months into the 12 month loans we have so far seen a 100% repayment rate from all 10 riders. The Chairman of the riders union very much wants to get a second loan as soon as SMT thinks the pilot has proven itself. Unfortunately, due to the initial delays in getting things up and running, I’ll be leaving Sierra Leone before this happens. However, a Sierra Leonean colleague will be taking over the project and I'm optimistic that in another two months a second round of loans will be extended to a group of new riders.

As my time here comes to a close, I've been thinking about the things that I absolutely love about this country, as well as the things that I just can’t stand. I thought I would share a few of both.

My first (and hopefully last) African Guinness experience.
I dislike… the food. White rice, white bread and mystery meat seem to be the only three food groups here. I’m thoroughly sick of all three. Fortunately, the local beer is decent and cheap and there’s no need to pay twice the price for African Guinness (brewed right here in Sierra Leone). It’s dreadful. Just imagine taking half a pint of Guinness, filling the rest of the bottle up with water, and adding two shots of pure alcohol.

I love… the people. Sierra Leoneans are by far the friendliest people I’ve met in my life. I can't even walk down the street without being greeted by a handful of strangers, and often these greetings turn into 10 minute long conversations on a wide range of topics. Virtually everyone I've met here has been extremely welcoming, and countless strangers have gone out of their way to help me with various problems. It's fantastic!

I dislike… this country’s approach to time management. Nothing has ever happened on time in Sierra Leone, probably because everyone is too busy engaging in their random street conversations to be bothered to actually get to their appointments on time (or at all).

A lazy afternoon spent floating down a river just outside of Makeni. Photo
taken shortly before realizing there were rapids just around the corner.
I love… the expats. While not a large community, I've met a number of awesome people during my time here, and have made some great friends as a result. You know who you are.

I dislike… the transportation infrastructure. Anyone who’s read my previous blog posts is familiar with the challenges I’ve had travelling around this country. I’ll refrain from complaining any further here.

I love… the noise. Sierra Leonean culture is so lively and vibrant. There is always music playing and people singing, dancing or cheering loudly at a football match. Despite the lack of wealth, it’s a very happy and carefree place to be, and the feeling is contagious.

I dislike… the noise. It’s relentless. The music and shouting often doesn't die down until past midnight, and then starts up at 6 am again. One particular morning began with a rooster crowing outside my window at 5:30, someone banging on a steel door at 5:45, and then my neighbours seemingly having a "who has the loudest car" contest at 6am. And none of the stores here sell earplugs...

Old School. No description required.
I love… Old School! A couple blog posts ago I received a few comments from people on the sad shape of my backyard “gym”. Well, that was before I discovered “Old School”, a small gym built by a few young guys in the village here. It’s an old, abandoned and crumbling building with a bed sheet for a door and no roof, but this makeshift gym is hilariously ingenious. The barbells are made out of rebar and concrete and the crude wooden benches are a little wobbly, but entirely useable.

I dislike… stupidly low doorframes. I’m not the tallest guy in the world but the average Sierra Leonean has got to be no more than 5’8. If I had a dollar for every time I cracked my skull on a doorframe I’d probably have enough money to live out the rest of my life here, and I’ve lost count of the number of these occurrences that actually drew blood (likely due to me being concussed).

I love… the fact that it was much easier for me to come up with things I like about this country than it was to come up with things I dislike about it. Sierra Leone has been a challenging place at times, and I’m happy to be heading home, but it was also a phenomenal experience that I will remember for the rest of  my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment